Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Quad bikes





Another false consciousness uncovered: am I worried about the environment and global warming? Yes I am. Do I think that pristine areas of the globe should be protected from commercial touristic ventures? Yes I do. Did I quad bike on the Namibian sand dunes? Yes I did. And it was one of most exciting things I've ever done.

It's actually a great way to see the dunes - you're not going to get very far walking, so on a quad bike you see a hell of a lot more. And you can't really disturb anyone with the noise of the engines - there's no-one there. And there isn't much impact on the environment either - the sands are constantly shifting in the wind anyway. And quad biking's only allowed on a few square kilometres of a very very large area - so the purists can just go a bit further down the coast if they want to (in their four by fours) and take a look at a few thousand unspoilt dunes. And quad biking supports the local economy! Conscience appeased.

No comments: