Sunday, November 2, 2008

First Sunday in Joburg








A day off at last - I played tennis on a public court - weeds growing in the cracks, no net to speak of - but this matched the quality of my game - and not having a net allows you to think you're playing a lot better than you really are. I was a bit distracted by strange birds flying overhead, some of them the size of vultures (perhaps they were vultures; I haven't identified any of these avians yet). Then we repaired to the very wonderful Dunkeld Bakery where I ordered French toast and received the cholesterol and calorie bomb above (including bananas and maple syrup). Portions of food here are generally enormous.

Then I went to Johannesburg Zoo - this is cheating, I know, I out to be out there trekkiing in the veldt and savanna and desert and wetlands, seeing the real things in their natural habitats - but that will come, later, at some point. In the meantime the zoo was a good place to walk around on my own. It was hot (sorry) so half of the animals were asleep (see the ultra-relaxed lioness above) - but it's a pretty well-designed and managed zoo, for a zoo; and the vegetation continues to amaze me.

And now back to work - stuff to read before tomorrow... :-(

2 comments:

Izz said...

Hey this is a good start! Stuffed with good food, surrounded by greenery and colours, nice weather and the sweet animals there! Did you see any suricat in the Zoo? Are they stress as in Sofia:-)
Have an easy week!

Marsian said...

No, no suricat, but I didn't see all the zoo - it's enormous. And the carnivores were well separated from their prey! - so they're all relaxed.