Friday, March 26, 2010

Lake Elementaita





Lake Naivasha is a fresh water lake. Flamingos prefer salt water, apparently, so I drove for another hour or so to Lake Elementaita which is somehow salty although nowhere near the sea (but then why are seas salty anyway? This has always been a mystery to me. Rain is never salty, and you'd think that a few billion years of rainfall would have resulted in fresh water everywhere. But then what do I know?). When we got to Lake Elementaita the guide said that it wasn't a good day for seeing flamingos - the water level was low and there weren't very many of them. But there were several thousand, which by my standards is a lot of flamingos. The lake is very shallow and they were standing way out in the middle of the lake; so I've had a better view of flamingos in Joburg zoo - but then again it was impressive to see so many of them, in an environment that they'd chosen - up to their skinny little knees in muddy, salty, smelly water.

No comments: