Friday, February 27, 2009

More souvenir/art






Not much to write about... I need to get out more, work has taken over again. In the meantime, some photos of the souvenirs I picked up in Namibia - hand made, individual: art objects, as far as I'm concerned, even though they're mixed in with postcards and guide books and sell for a few euros. I'm starting to wish now that I'd moved into a bigger flat, just so I had space for more THINGS.

In Windhoek I went to the most amazing shop I think I've ever been in - the Bushman Art Gallery (click on "catalogue" and explore...) - where in fact the blurring of the boundary between souvenir and art is official - it calls itself an art gallery but nearly everything is for sale; there were some incredible artefacts which I immediately craved (many objects similar to those in the wonderful African art gallery in the British Museum), but space and weight limitations stopped me - this time.

(Above - tin can warthog; witchdoctor doll; Himba waterpot)

1 comment:

Izz said...

Loved the chairs in the catalogue! Great stuff!