Sunday, December 7, 2008

Above it all





I'm now in the new flat and it's much better; as I expected, I no longer feel a constant low-level semi-conscious worry about whether I've locked all the doors properly, whether the panic button is in my pocket, if my mobile phone is in the same room as me, etc. I'm now down to two small keys and a clear view of the sky. And I'm actually seeing more birds, as they seem to like rooftops, telephone wires and streetlamps - last night at sunset there was an amazing cacophony - most of the birds here are very LOUD, particulary the pin-headed Guineafowl and the curvy-beaked Hadeda, which likes to blare out like a foghorn as it flies - you can hear them coming, and on my new balcony they fly past at head level - a deafening experience.

I don't have internet in the new flat yet so blog entries here will be limited for the next couple of weeks until the phone's installed (and there are no wireless networks in range, alas) - in the meantime I have to come back to the old house to use the landline and ADSL.

Above: view from my new living room - note the absence of bars, walls and fences. I'm above all of that now. Then: the balcony; a hadeda across the road; sunset last night from the bedroom.

2 comments:

Charles Lambert said...

Yes, this looks fantastic. You've definitely done the right thing. The idea of you alone in some luxury barricaded bungalow was pretty dispiriting!

You do have a spare bedroom, right?

Marsian said...

Hi Charles, yes there is a spare bedroom, this was a bottom line requirement! - free for you and Peppe to come and use any time you like.